Friday, July 21, 2017

Sugar Crust for Crème Brûlée without Torch or Broiler!!


I discovered this method of creating the sugary top of Crème Brûlée completely by accident.

I was doing a sale of Crème Brûlée cups for my dessert business and I was only able to source hard plastic cups in time for the sale.

So I made the Crème portion of the recipe and left it to set, thinking that if I wrap foil around the entire cup and then torch it, the plastic would not melt.

To my utter dismay, as I was melting the sugar for the crust, so to was I melting the actual cup that held the dessert!!



I was due to deliver the cups within one hour and went completely into panic mode as to what I could do to give the sugar crust on these plastic cups of Crème Brûlée.

It then hit me that I could possibly melt the sugar before, as though I was making a brittle and maybe just maybe, when I pour it onto the cups, it would harden and not melt the plastic.

So I did just that, making sure to stick the cups in the freezer before pouring the hot sugar mixture and IT WORKED!! 

While it is not the traditional way of creating the Brûlée, it definitely did the job of providing the signature sweet crunchy topping for the Crème. 

Below is a little video tutorial of how I make my Crème Brûlée recipe for one and create this sugar crust. (Recipe for Crème Brûlée for One can be found here)





Happy No-Baking!
xx

*Make sure to click the little "Notify Me" box whenever you do comment so you can see my replies!

12 comments:

  1. My Favorite!!!!! I really like this desert and I've been looking for a new way to do it. Thank you so much for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite too!! Hope you liked the video as well :D

      Delete
  2. I actually don't like Creme Brulee but this looks interesting. Will try as soon as I give up on my diet again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So resourceful and innovative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how creative this is! Can't wait to try :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So easy to make! Love it !! ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Latest post

Small Batch Salted Caramel Sauce